Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bear Grylls

Over the course of three minutes on Man vs. Wild last night, Bear Grylls dropped all of these gems:

The most important part of you to keep cool is your head. I need a hat to reduce the risk of overheating. I could use my T-shirt, but I need that to keep the sun off my back. The only thing I have left is my boxer shorts.


(Now wearing boxer shorts as a hat) But my next problem is water. I’m going to need to resort to extreme measures to survive… The only thing I can do, is to drink my own pee.


It may seem disgusting, but your own urine is safe to drink.


(Having urinated into a canteen and drank it, all on camera) But urine alone is not going to be enough in this heat; I need to find a source of water as soon as I can.


Wow. Truly one of the greatest 5 minutes in television ever.



Update: Bear Grylls is obviously entertaining, but it's hard to pin down just how much of his appeal is derived from unintentional comedy. Having given it some thought, I submit that it's about 63% unintentional comedy, 37% sheer awesomeness. Results may vary based on the individual.

No comments: