Friday, August 17, 2007

Quotations

Sorry, I know that the updates have been few and far between lately. I'm home in the land of dial-up internet and ongoing farmwork for a few weeks. I'll tend to this patch of page much better starting in September.

For the meanwhile, here are a couple quotes that have struck me of late. I'm often skeptical of rigid quotations, because they frequently simplify a complicated problem, but these are working for me for whatever reason:

With or Without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
Steve Wienberg


I'm reading thrugh Grapes of Wrath right now, so I might amend "or money" to the end of that quote. But maybe that is a religion.

When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.
Sinclar Lewis


Before anyone takes offense: I sincerely believe that if everyone observed the rules that Christ or Mohammed or Whoever described, the world would be a better place. The problem is that religion in the great justifier of all otherwise unjustifiable acts.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I couldn't agree more. I am, according to my beliefs, a Christian. I cringe when I say that, though, because of the way the name has been used and abused.
Faith is salvation. Religion is death and destruction.
I would like to quote a verse in the bible that I think is saying the exact same thing:

Matthew 7:15-18 & 20
A Tree and Its Fruit

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

I am hope that I don't offend you with my comment but you really struck a chord with me. Great post. I couldn't agree more!